Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dongtan Wonderland, Hwaseong City, South Korea. Its students might not be well-behaved, its supervisors might be raving harpies, but gosh darn its foreigner teachers will look good on camera.

Those of you who followed my blog have probably noticed that I haven’t posted anything in a long time. You who are especially close to me have already heard a lot of the horror stories behind my lack of desire to commemorate this place in writing. I blog now only to warn potential future employees of Dongtan Wonderland. As you plan your trip to Korea, if you’re doing your research, good for you—my blog is probably the first hit on your search engine. My advice is DON'T COME TO THIS PLACE. I mean the caps.

Because the supervisors are in it for the money, everything natural and good in a workplace/school is prohibited and punished here: relationships with the parents of our students, having fun with students when the work is finished, organization, professionalism, communication between supervisors and subordinates, mutual respect, the quality of the education we attempt to give—hell, they tried to tell us we couldn’t leave the school on a daily basis for a quick walk or juice run (by the way, we have zero official breaks every day, so one of the few ways to stay sane is to leave the school for a breather in between teaching periods). The director and head teacher here do not care what they sacrifice, so long as the tuition comes in. And we foreigner teachers make crap pay out of that tuition for the hours we work. And those two women can make your life a living hell when they want a scapegoat. Speaking as the current scapegoat, I state that they will attack you both as an employee and as a person, insult your native culture, holler at you, call you names, interrupt you when you’re trying to explain yourself, smack the desk, threaten to fire you, make you write yourself senseless warning letters—all in an attempt to make you as docile as you, reader, are probably expecting a typical Korean student to be. When I say “typical,” I’m referring to students who run across the tables, smack me, and spit in my face.

I’m not asking too much (or anyway, I don’t think so). I just want to be appreciated and respected when I’m working my ass off for nine hours a day—at the very least, I’d like to be left alone. No more of this being written up or reamed until my ears are boxed for not understanding Head Teacher’s directions, written in very poor English. Or for not turning the lights on in a west-facing classroom on a very bright day an hour before sunset. Or for doing a textbook lesson the way the directions say. Or for contracting the swine flu in time to be quarantined for Christmas and (oh heaven help us) mandatorily miss a few days of work. So if you have the same kinds of employee standards, and if you want to have anything like a positive experience as an English teacher in Korea, feel free to contact me if you’re considering a contract with Dongtan Wonderland. You can ask me any question you like, and you’ll find out that I am not exaggerating.

8 comments:

  1. Hi.

    My friend has just been offered a job at the Dongtan Wonderland. I've been teaching in Korea for a year and change, so he's been asking me some questions. I did a basic Google Search for Dongtan Wonderland and you answered everything with one post.

    Thanks for having the guts to write this. I recently resigned from my own position at one of the English Villages, and am apprehensive about making it public for fear of repercussions (I'll tell the world once I leave the job, but I don't want to say anything while I'm still on my 30-days-notice period.)

    Anyway. Thanks. If you ever make it over to Osan while I'm there, I owe you a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help--and I mean that. Thanks for letting me know the post made a difference. If your buddy still has any inclination to take the job at Dongtan Wonderland, PLEASE have him contact me. Hope you both find some better jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Dongtan Wonderland. I also read about this on the ATEK website.

    I'm a former leader in ATEK and I've handled literally hundreds of labor issues. When working in ATEK I was the first stop on labor questions for the entire organization. I'm mentioning this because some of the situations you described are 100% illegal and you may have remedies available to you through the Labor Standards Act (2007).

    If you would like to discuss this further please contact me via email, wurthjt@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reply, John--it's really nice to know that you kept track of my complaints against the school. I'm no longer working there, actually. That blog post was my farewell. I ended up deciding that there were too many problems to be worth the effort. However, I've passed along what you said above and your email address to one of the other teachers still at Wonderland. He's a member of ATEK, as well. The director and head teacher have treated him better than they did me, but I'll remind him to contact you and look into the Labor Standards Act if he has any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the same type of treatments you are describing by this Wonderland schools. In fact, I was looking up the URL for this place to write a review when your blog showed up..I hope you're out now, since my niece is currently going through hell with these very inhuman, slave-driven people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to give you some more information on this situation. I have been working at this school for a long time. I haven’t had any problems at all while I have been here. The kids at the school are amazing and the Korean teachers have been great. My co-teachers are always helping me with everything that they can. I know you might say that this is just my opinion but I am seeing positive changes at the school every month. From what I know of this situation she left without any notice, which caused the western teachers to do a lot more work. It is people like this that make Korean schools think those ESL teachers are as irresponsible and unprofessional as she is. So I would suggest that you take this article with a grain of salt as you would from any other person that can’t handle responsibility. If you would like to any more information please email me at currenteslteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with currenteslteacher, people like this girl give the rest of us a bad name. I've been here for nearly 2 years, working hard, making a difference in the lives of young kids and really trying to mind my own business, and thanks to people like this blogger, I have been stuck with someone else's workload not once, not even twice, but 5 times!! Good for you for coming out here and trying something new, but grow a freakin backbone and at least have the decency to finish out your contract or at the VERY LEAST, tell your school you're leaving!! Personally, I'm tired of cleaning up after you. I do my job well, I shouldn't have to do yours well too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this blog is old, but my friend was recently offered a post and turned it down on the basis of this blog, so it's still relevant.

    You say it yourself, Dongtan Wonderland. 5 people in 2 years have done a runner:

    "I have been stuck with someone else's workload not once, not even twice, but 5 times!!"

    That's 5 people who hated the place so much they felt compelled to get the hell out without even telling anyone.Compare that to other schools, who if they're unlucky have one in a similar period.

    Surely, with stats like this, the school needs to take a long look at its treatment of staff. Any potential staff looking at this would be crazy to take this job, based on that statistic alone, regardless of what else has been said.

    You've been here at least 2 years now. You must know the score: some people get treated like crap, and their entitled to have their say, and leave if it gets too much for them. By sticking up for employers like this, you're making life much tougher for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete