Saturday, January 16, 2010

Kindergarten speech contest in Seoul

Today there was a big shindig at the Sangmyung University Art Center: a speech contest involving Dongtan Wonderland and who knows how many others. The contestants were roughly 6 to 10 years old, Korean age, with the only 5-year I saw being one of my own students. Most of the students were dressed up pretty sharp as an addition to their speeches, everything from a pinstriped suit to traditional hanbok to bear and lion costumes.

The most interesting thing about the contest was that the audience never really paid attention. Granted, I and the few other native English speakers in attendance probably represented the majority of people who could even understand the speeches easily, but, coming from a theater background, it was something new for me to be in the midst of what I perceived as a complete lack of respect for the persons up on stage. As far as I remember, it was fairly quiet for the opening MC speeches and the salute to the flag, but from there on out the adults continued their high-energy conversations and ushered students in and out of the hall as they saw fit, and the kids jumped and ran around and talked all they wanted, too. One of my friends went to a wedding a couple months ago that operated the same way, but it was still surprising to see it myself.

Best thing that happened: one of our students who entered the contest was Henry, a 7-year of great intelligence and frustratingness. He has a hard time talking in anything other than a holler, and that's a problem, considering that he constantly wants to talk in class. On the other hand, he's got great conversation skills since he's inadvertently practiced speaking so darn much. For his speech, Henry had three visual aides, more than most of the other students--two hanbok outfits hung from a couple of easels and a photo board propped on a third easel--and as soon as he got onto the stage, he started ordering the two stage helpers around in loud, rapid, no-nonsense Korean until they got the things in the right places around him and the mic. I don't think that kid's afraid of anything.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla, I came across your blog while researching the Wonderland school in Dongtan. I have an offer from the school and am trying to decide if its a good choice. I have done a ton fo research and find it difficult to find out anything about the school except that the Wonderland chain is not that great. Anyway if you get this maybe you can send me a quick email and let me know what you think? t9h7k@unb.ca.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete