Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Really funny, Teacher?

Today, after lunch, I was to teach reading to my 6.1 class. This is one of my hardest classes, because, after lunch, all the little 6-years are flaky and sleepy, and the book is useless. I decided to write three of the new reading words on the board today, and go from there. I started with "sound," then we worked on "funny" (these are the kinds of words the book demands beginning, non-native-English-speaker students to read). To demonstrate "funny," I laughed out loud, which scared the kids at first but then cracked them up, since they have never heard me laugh at work since I am always crabby at work. I made a few "funny" faces, and got them laughing, harder than I probably have before. Mission accomplished; they probably won't forget that word. The next one I wanted to work on was "really," so we practiced the phonics for that one, then it was on to demonstrating the difference between "funny" and "really funny." Pretty quickly, the whole class and Teacher were making funny faces, they asking me "Really funny, teacher?? Really funny??" I then looked at the back row and saw this kid,


the one in the army shirt, holding his prim and proper school uniform vest and shirt all the way up to his neck. I have never before laughed as hard at work as I did at that kid and his brazenly naked torso, so much that all the kids started laughing at me more than they were at Eric. Of course, the next few minutes were a chaos of trying to then stop Eric from pulling his pants down after he stood up in his chair, and then stopping two other boys from also exposing their torsos and trying for their lower parts. Some days, my life here is ******; other days, it's really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment